Posted by Nicci | General, Health, Home & Hearth

Rescue Mission and Adoption: Step One


With the last post on our blog being fourteen days ago, it seems as if we have had a quiet time. Appearances can be very deceiving. In that short time we have squeezed in many activities including a rescue mission.

In my last post I talked about my hopes for never letting go (of foster children) and classes at our annual DCS Foster Parent Conference. Little did I know then that the same weekend Rent-a-Dad and I would be involved in a rescue mission and adoption of another sort.

Plans for that weekend had changed multiple times. As planned commitments evaporated and re-materialized in another month we were free to divide our weekend between our nephews and foster commitments. Saturday became all about the conference while Sunday was all about our nephews. Or so we thought…

Between late starts and other hiccups, Saturday went better then we hoped. Sunday had a much later start than anticipated due to errands taking additional time. With the unexpected errands we ended up arriving at our nephews around lunch time that Sunday.

When we arrived I noticed what I thought was a cute scene between a kitten and two small dogs taking place in the neighbor’s yard. I mistook the kitten for one that belonged to my nephews so I continued to watch as it walked a bit wobbly between the dogs. Quickly I realized that the wobbly walk was not just from taking a few first steps on grass but because the kitten was seriously ill. As the small dogs stretched out their yard cords and the kitten was forced to try and walk on its own it couldn’t do so. Instead of walking, even wobbly, it flopped over on its side and began panting. Based on my knowledge and past experiences with dogs and cats, I was a bit horrified.

When it comes to animals and kids in distress I tend to act without thinking. After shutting the car door I hurried over to check on the kitten. At close inspection it was very obvious that the kitten was in major respiratory distress.

About this time the neighbor came out of his house because his dogs were really barking loudly. We exchanged some pleasantries and I asked if the kitten belonged to him. By now I was sure the kitten did not belong to my nephews. The neighbor politely told me it was his but that I could have it if I wanted because he had others. I kindly told him I was just concerned because the kitten seemed seriously ill and just wanted him to know. Another exchange of pleasantries took place before I went on my way to get my nephews.

An hour later and we were all loading in to the car when one of my nephews asked what was wrong. When I turned to find out what he was talking about he was pointing to the kitten now on the porch laying there in the hot sun. Rent-a-Dad and I looked at each other not knowing what to tell our nephew at that moment. Finally I said the kitten was sick and our nephew asked us to “fix it”.

Even though the whole exchange with the neighbor had been very nice and pleasant there was just something bothering me about the situation. I had a bad feeling that if we dismissed the situation and mollified our nephew, that when I brought the boys home we would find out that the kitten had died. I couldn’t let that happen and neither could Rent-a-Dad.

While Rent-a-Dad went back up to the house of my faux sister (a friend who is like family), I went over to the neighbor’s house and picked up the kitten. The neighbor did say I could take it… When the door opened again I told the neighbor that the boys were so distressed by how sick the kitten seemed that we would in fact take the kitten (at least to the vet) if they really didn’t mind. The neighbor seemed fine with that response and went on about his business.

Now we had the cat in a carrier in our car. Step one of the rescue mission was complete. Step two was a little more difficult.

Click here for the continuation of this story.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *